1265 Asylum Avenue
Hartford, CT 06105
MTCNE recently relocated to historic Butterworth Hall on the University of Hartford Asylum Avenue Campus. Butterworth Hall, formerly known as The Seaverns House, designed by the firm of Goodwin, Bullard & Woolsey, was built in 1917 on a rise at 1265 Asylum Avenue. It was the home of Charles F.T. Seaverns, who taught Greek and Latin at Hartford High School, and his wife Mary Hillyer Seaverns, a granddaughter of Rev. Horace Bushnell. The property’s original landscape plan was designed by Olmsted Associates.
In 1958, the Seaverns estate became the campus of the Hartford College for Women (HCW), which then became part of the University of Hartford. The house served as administrative offices for HCW after it was purchased and donated to the college by Paul Butterworth. The 100 hundred year old mansion now serves as MTCNE’s main training facility and is conveniently located in Hartford’s west end. It is in walking distance to beautiful Elizabeth Park, the Hartford History Museum and many great restaurants.